Hair Extensions Soup anyone? Sounds weird I know. But let me tell you... boiling your hair extensions is the NEW IT thing for revitalizing and maintaining hair extensions.
Women around the world are PRESERVING their bundles by adding a little kitchen love to their hair extensions in between installs and it's saving them sooo much time and money. Not to mention, everything you need can be found in your kitchen or bathroom.
Now before you get grossed out at the picture, let me just say, what you're seeing is not a GLOB of a hairball in some water and a pot! (lol) The mixture is super easy and you absolutely can do this -- safely of course.
Here are the benefits of boiling your hair extensions:
- Removes thick oils and products that were used during install.
- Adds MOVEMENT back to the hair extensions.
- Cleanses the hair shafts of the extensions.
- You soften the hair and make it more manageable. Think of it like this - before you wash your natural hair, depending on the previous styling your hair may feel dry or maybe even a little hard. Adding boiling water will loosen the kinks and even detangle. After removing your extensions, you will absolutely experience softer hair.
- Retains the NATURAL COLOR of the original hair extensions. This does NOT include any rinses that may have been applied to the hair extensions before or after install. Those will be stripped during this process. Bleached or highlighted hair, however, would retain the same color.
So, now that you know the benefits, here's how to do it:
- Get a saucepan or pot - preferably one that you do not plan to cook with because THAT would be gross!
- Place pot on the stove (gas or electric).
- Add water - distilled is great for this.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Add olive oil or coconut oil to the water.
- Stir your hair extensions in the mixture with a non-eating utensil. In other words, a spoon, fork, or stirring utensil you do not plan on eating with! Because again, that would be gross!
- Stir in a few tablespoons of a creamy leave-in conditioner.
- Add your hair extensions.
- Let hair boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat from the stove.
- Let the water cool.
- Safely remove extensions from the water.
- Rinse extensions with cool water.
- Blot your hair extensions with a soft microfiber towel or t-shirt.
- Comb in a light leave-in conditioner into the hair extensions.
- Let hair extensions hang dry using Saraeya Hair Hangers .
- Add a light hair serum to restore the shine back to the hair extensions.
- Once dry, get your styling shine on, girlfriend!
Now keep in mind, if you have some bad hair - meaning your hair is a synthetic blend of animal and other plastic artificial fibers, boiling is NOT what you want to do. You will freaking MELT THE HAIR applying this kind of heat! But if your extensions are 100% raw or steamed human hair, this is going to work WONDERS for your extensions or wig units.
See. Easy right? Try this out next time you uninstall your hair extensions. The upside to doing this after an install is, the next time you're ready to wear your clipins, wig, or bundles, they'll be fresh and ready to install again!
If you like this article and are thinking about trying it, let us know in the comments how it worked out for you. Send before and after. We'd love to feature you on the website!
Disclaimer: Perform the steps above at your own risk. We are not responsible for damage to hair extensions or personal injuries or disasters while attempting the above methods. Be smart and be safe at all times!